Easy Keto Kale Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
I feel like the kale “superfood hype” craze has died down a bit recently, but I definitely remain a fan. In addition to being super keto friendly, it’s also loaded with nutrients. The leafy green is low in net carbs but high in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins A, K, and C. Some people don’t like kale’s tougher texture and stronger flavor compared to other greens, but I actually think that makes it perfect for this keto kale salad. Iceberg or romaine might be overwhelmed by the bacon vinaigrette and other toppings, but the kale can hold its own.
The toppings and dressing are still key to making this keto kale salad shine though. After crisping up some bacon to add on top, the fat left in the pan becomes the base for the bacon vinaigrette. Whisk in some lemon juice for tartness, Dijon for tang, and sugar free honey for sweetness. I also like a bit of red pepper for heat, but that’s totally optional. Either way, I round out this keto kale salad with some toasted almonds for crunch and shaved parmesan for richness. Then just toss with your bacon vinaigrette (warm or room temperature) and serve!
Looking for another crunchy keto salad option? Try this Bacon Bleu Cheese Brocolli Salad Recipe!
Keto Kale Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
Keto Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch kale about 6 ounces
- 1 ounces sliced almonds
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 ounce shaved parmesan
Keto Bacon Vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar free honey substitute or sweetener to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
Toast the Almonds
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced almonds to pan and toast, stirring regularly, until fragrant and golden brown (3-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Add bacon to pan and cook until crisp, 6-8 minutes. Set bacon aside, but reserve the fat in the pan.
- Add garlic to reserved bacon fat and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining vinaigrette ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, ACV, mustard, honey substitute, salt, and pepper) and whisk to combine. Remove from heat.
Keto Kale Salad
- Roughly chop kale leaves and cooked bacon. Combine kale, bacon, almonds, and parmesan in a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle with bacon vinaigrette and toss to coat.
Serve and Enjoy!
- You can serve the bacon vinaigrette warm or room temperature, depending on your preference.
- Sugar free maple syrup may be used in place of the honey substitute.
- Top this keto kale salad with grilled chicken, salmon, or steak to make it a full meal.