Keto Guacamole Chicken Skillet
In many ways, guacamole is a perfect keto dip or topping. It’s packed with healthy fats, low in carbs, and full of flavor. This keto guacamole chicken skillet is a simple dinner recipe that takes advantage of that fact to make a filling meal! The guac is paired with seared chicken, crispy bacon, and melty cheese for an easy one pan meal. It’s perfect served with a veggie side dish like cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli, or keto kale salad.
Making this keto guacamole chicken is pretty straightforward. First, you fry up the bacon. It adds a crisp edge to the finished dish, and cooking the chicken in the bacon fat adds flavor. Then the chicken is seasoned with a simple but effective spice rub, including a bit of heat from chili powder. While the chicken is searing, it’s time to make the guacamole that will be layered on top!
You can use your own favorite guac for this keto guacamole chicken, but the recommendation below pairs well with this recipe. Like you would expect, the base ingredients are avocado, lime juice, and salt. Next, I add onion, garlic, and cilantro for fuller flavor. Diced tomato adds texture, and fresh jalapeno and spices add just a bit of heat. Whatever guacamole you use, just layer it on the chicken and then top with the bacon and cheese. A quick trip under the broiler to melt the cheese, and then you’re ready to dig in!
Looking for more keto chicken recipes? You might also like:
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
- Keto Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Wings
- Creamy Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Keto Pimento Cheese Baked Chicken
- Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken
Keto Guacamole Chicken
- 4 portions chicken breast about 6 ounces each
- 2 ounces shredded cheese cheddar or pepper jack
- 4 slices bacon
Chicken Spice Rub
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp onion diced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce tomato diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp EACH: salt, cumin, paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper optional
- Add bacon to a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp (6-8 minutes) and set aside. Reserve bacon fat in pan.
- Combine all chicken spice rub ingredients, and season the chicken breasts on both sides. Add chicken to skillet, and cook in the bacon fat over medium heat for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep the guacamole: Mash together avocado, onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, and spices, then fold in the diced tomato.
- Top each chicken breast with ¼ of the guacamole, one slice of bacon, and ¼ of the cheese.
- Transfer skillet to oven, and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Depending on the size of your chicken portions and bacon slices, you can leave the bacon whole or halve it for easier layering.
- This keto guacamole chicken is best enjoyed the same day. Leftovers should be stored immediately, refrigerated in a sealed container. Eat within two days to prevent the guac from browning too much.
- If your skillet isn't oven safe, you transfer the chicken to a different dish to broil or cover the pan on low heat for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.