Spiced Keto Pumpkin Soup with Bacon
What makes a great keto meal for cold weather? A hearty soup? Warming spices? Fall flavors? Luckily, this spiced keto pumpkin soup recipe has all three! If you’re like me this year and bought pumpkin puree planning for a low carb pie or cheesecake only to find a few forgotten cans already in the pantry, this can be a great way to make use of the extra. Unlike a lot of pumpkin recipes which tend to lend towards the sweet side, this keto pumpkin soup is balanced with savory flavors and spices.
As many good things do, it actually starts off with bacon! Crispy bacon pieces will garnish your soup once it’s done. In the meantime, use the fat to sauté onion and garlic for extra flavor. After that, the main ingredients are chicken broth and, of course, pumpkin. Make sure to use plain, unsweetened 100% pumpkin puree. It’s different from pumpkin pie filling, which has added sugar and spices. You can also roast your own fresh pumpkin and puree it for this recipe.
More than anything else, the spices really make this keto pumpkin soup shine. A combination of cumin, cinnamon, and smoked paprika adds plenty of warming flavor. I also like to add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little extra boost. Finally, a generous helping of cream brings everything together and makes this soup extra rich and velvety. For a thinner texture, you can use more chicken broth instead of (or in addition to) the cream.
Remember the bacon from the start? Crumble it and sprinkle on top of your finished soup! Optionally, you can also top with toasted pepitas and/or a dollop of sour cream.
Looking for more warming keto meals? You might also like:
- Instant Pot Keto Chili with Beans
- Keto Pizza Stuffed Zucchini
- Instant Pot Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Keto Zuppa Toscana (Sausage and Kale Soup)
- Keto Fried Cabbage with Sausage and Bacon
Spiced Keto Pumpkin Soup with Bacon
- Medium Stock Pot
- Immersion Blender
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth reduced sodium
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 dash pumpkin spice optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden or other keto sweetener
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Add bacon to a large pot over medium heat. Cook until crisp, then remove from pot (leaving the fat) and set aside. Coarsely chop bacon once cooled.
- Add diced onion to reserved bacon fat, and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook for an additional minute.
- Add broth, pumpkin puree, and spices (paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, pumpkin spice, salt, and pepper) to pot and stir to combine. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Process soup with an immersion blender (or in batches with a standard blender) until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in cream and sweetener. Simmer until heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with the chopped bacon. Additionally garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of cream, and/or a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Storage and Refrigeration: Store refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave, or on the stove over medium low heat.
- You can make this keto pumpkin soup without the bacon if desired. Just melt 2T of butter in your pot to use in place of the bacon fat.
- The flavors here are meant to be more "warming" than spicy, but if you're worried about the heat, you can reduce the amount of cayenne and/or red pepper used. You can also cut the spice by serving the soup with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.