Low Carb Keto Cinnamon Rolls
Low carb cinnamon roll pancakes are tasty, but sometimes I want something even closer to the real thing. This is a recipe for a more classic keto cinnamon roll that fills that craving.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 55m
- Serves: 8 rolls
- Yield: 8 rolls
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz., ~142g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce (~28g) cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons (2 oz., ~56g) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener (such as Swerve)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla (or unflavored) whey protein powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon (1/2 envelope, ~3.5g) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water or almond milk, warmed (110°F-115°F)
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (such as Swerve)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar OR sugar free maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 1/2 ounces (~42g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon (~14g) butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sweetener to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a baking dish by greasing lightly with coconut oil or butter (or lining with parchment paper).
- In a small bowl, add yeast and warm (110°F-115°F) water (or almond milk). Allow yeast to dissolve over the course of a few minutes, stirring as needed to dissolve clumps.
- Meanwhile, combine dry dough ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, sweetener, psyllium powder, baking powder, and salt). In a separate bowl, combine mozzarella, butter, and cream cheese.
- Microwave cheese mixture on high for 60-90 seconds, or until cheese and butter are melted. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add egg, yeast mixture, and dry ingredients to cheese mixture and stir until ingredients are combined and dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto parchment paper and knead gently 15-20 times or until well combined. Add additional nut flour as needed if dough is sticky. Return dough to bowl and cover with a damp cloth or paper towel; set in a warm place to rise while you make the filling and frosting.
- Combine all ingredients (except coconut flour) in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and ingredients are well combined.
- Add coconut flour and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring as needed.
Making the Rolls
- Once dough has roughly doubled in size, return to parchment paper and roll into a rectangle. Spread filling over the surface of the dough, leaving a small amount uncovered near one of the shorter edges to prevent it from spilling out when you form the rolls.
- Starting at the other short edge, lift the parchment paper and use it to assist as you roll the dough into a log.
- Using a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into 8 (or 6, for larger rolls) equal slices. Place slices cut side up into your prepared baking dish without overcrowding them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Top with cream cheese glaze and serve warm.