Keto Shredded Chicken Taco Meat
Mix up your next Taco Tuesday with this keto shredded chicken taco meat, perfect with low carb tortillas, cauliflower rice, or taco salads.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs 1.25-1.5lbs
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 10 oz
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of one lime about 2 tbsp
Chicken Spice Rub
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika smoked recommended
- 1 tsp salt
Saute and Sear
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add diced onion and jalapeno to skillet and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
Add seasoned chicken to pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip chicken thighs and sear for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside briefly.
Keto Shredded Chicken
Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth (or water). Add diced tomatoes, cayenne pepper, and any remaining spice rub. Stir to combine.
Return chicken to skillet and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for 18-22 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and fork tender.
Use two forks to shred the chicken, then toss to coat with the sauce. Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt and/or pepper to taste.
If desired, simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes over medium heat to reduce the sauce.
- This recipe can also be made with chicken breast! Reduce the simmer time to about 12 minutes to avoid overcooking.
- This keto shredded chicken taco meat can also be made in the Instant Pot. Follow the initial steps as directed using the Saute setting, then replace the simmer step with a High Pressure cook for 10 minutes (6 for chicken breasts). Quick release the pressure and then follow the remaining steps.
- This recipe has a bit of heat to it, but nothing too crazy. Up the spice level by using additional jalapeno and/or cayenne.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 1.5g | Sugar: 1.5g | Vitamin A: 6% | Vitamin C: 12% | Calcium: 7% | Iron: 5%