Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe
This keto sausage and kale soup recipe is hearty and filling. Per serving: ~420 kcal, 33g fat, 25g protein, 7g total carbs - 2g fiber = 5g net carbs
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1/2 medium (about 70g) onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound (~454g) bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1.5 cups (~100g) kale roughly chopped, tough stems removed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 small head (250-300g) cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Brown Sausage and Wilt Kale
Add the onion and garlic to reserved bacon drippings, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add Italian sausage, Italian seasoning, red pepper, and fennel to pot. Cook for 7-9 minutes, or until sausage is browned and crumbled.
Add kale, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just beginning to wilt.
Add Broth and Cauliflower
Increase heat to medium high. Add broth to pot and bring to a boil.
Add cauliflower and stir to combine. Continue to boil for 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
- I really recommend using bone broth rather than standard chicken broth for this recipe if possible. It ups the flavor and the health profile!
- It's normal for this soup to settle in the fridge, so make sure to give it a stir before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
- The red pepper flakes add just a bit of heat to up the warming factor of this soup. Feel free to up the amount for more kick, or lower it if you're using hot Italian sausage.