Keto Zoodle Bake w/ Italian Sausage
Flavorful Italian sauage, fresh zoodles, and cheese combine for a delicious low carb dinner.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 ounce fresh grated parmesan
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1.5 lb zucchini noodles 2-3 medium large zucchini
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (about 2oz) red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14-15oz can diced tomatoes no salt or sugar added
- 3-4 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsely
Preheat oven to 400F.
Add olive oil to an oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage to pan.
Cook for 6-7 minutes, or until browned, breaking up the sausage as you go.
Remove cooked sausage from pan and set aside.
Prep the Sauce
In the same pan, add diced onion. Saute for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium low. Add diced tomatoes, fresh basil, and other spices to pan, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add cooked sausage to tomato mixture and stir to distribute. Remove pan from heat.
Keto Zoodle Bake
Discard any drained liquid from the salted zucchini. Carefully squeeze the zoodles to remove as much of anyway remaining liquid as possible, then add to pan.
Add parmesan to pan and toss to combine.
Finally, top the zoodle mixture with shredded mozzarella.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Make sure you're using quality Italian sausage without added carbs/fillers! Lately I've been using the sausage from Butcher Box, but there are good store bought options too.
- Similarly, choose tomatoes without added sugar, corn syrup, etc. You can even use fresh tomatoes if you prefer, or 3/4 to 1 cup of low carb tomato sauce.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.3g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 22g | Fiber: 2.5g