Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken
This keto sweet and sour chicken is made with breaded chicken breast tossed in a tangy sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 tbsp oil olive or coconut
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup low carb ketchup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened rice vinegar or ACV
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 dash sriracha optional
- 1/4 cup granulated Lakanto Classic or other sweetener, to taste
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp water
Prep the Sauce
Mix together the granulated sweetener and xanthan gum.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add minced garlic, ginger, green onion, and red pepper flakes to oil. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add lime juice, vinegar, ketchup, sriracha, and soy sauce to pan. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, about 2-3 minutes.
Add sweetener/xanthan gum mixture to the sauce. Continue to simmer, stirring often, until sweetener is fully dissolved.
Stir in water, adding more or less to achieve desired consistency. Remove from heat.
Prep the Chicken
In a shallow dish, combine coconut flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Separately, combine the crushed pork rinds and almond flour.
Prep the chicken pieces by coating with the coconut flour mixture, followed by the beaten egg, and finally the almond flour/pork rind mixture.
Fry the Chicken
Heat frying oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
Working in batches if needed, add chicken pieces to hot oil and fry until cooked through and golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
Remove finished chicken to a baking rack or a dish lined with paper towels.
Add the Sauce
Stir and reheat the sauce if needed (it can thicken/settle if too cool).
Toss chicken pieces with sauce immediately before serving.
Optional: Garnish with chopped green onion and/or sesame seeds.
- This keto sweet and sour chicken is best when you add the sauce immediately before serving. For leftovers, I recommend storing and reheating the sauce and chicken separately.
- The chicken is best reheated in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes to maintain crispiness. The sauce can be reheated in the microwave or stovetop.
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs to make this keto sweet and sour chicken.
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 20g | Fiber: 4.25g