Easy Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
Mixes from brands like Good Dee’s and Keto Queen Kreations can be pricey thanks to quality keto baking ingredients like almond flour, so I’m always happy when they show up in my keto subscription boxes. Unfortunately, even the best low carb cake mixes don’t typically come with frosting included, so you’ll have to make your own. Thankfully, this keto cream cheese frosting recipe is super quick and easy to make. It takes just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes to make.
Naturally, the main ingredient in this keto cream cheese frosting is the cream cheese itself. Opt for brands with 1g carbs or less per ounce(28g) and make sure that you let it soften fully. If it’s too cold or still firm in the middle, your frosting may turn out lumpy. The same applies for the butter; allow it to soften fully before beating. From there, you only need a couple of additions: keto-friendly powdered sweetener and a splash of vanilla.
This keto cream cheese frosting recipe is enough to generously frost a dozen cupcakes or a single layer cake up to 9 inches. It scales easily, so feel free to adjust as needed. You can also easily change the flavor or color to match your low carb cake. The texture is great for both piping and spreading. Just be sure to let cake or cupcakes cool before frosting to prevent melting.
Looking for more keto sweet treats? You might also like:
Basic Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup powdered keto sweetener see notes
- 1 pinch salt optional, omit if using salted butter
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and powdered sweetener until well-combined and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to piping bag or spread directly onto cooled cake, cupcakes, or cookies.
- Sweetener note: The sweetener measurement provided is based on sugar-equivalent sweeteners. Be sure to check your sweetener, and half the amount for 2:1 ratio sweeteners.
- Flavoring: Make different flavors of this keto cream cheese frosting by using different extracts instead of or in addition to the vanilla. Alternatively, use a splash of sugar free flavored syrup.
- Coloring: Both liquid and gel food coloring work well with this recipe. Add a few drops at a time to your finished frosting until you reach your desired color.
This post may contain affiliate links. More details.