Low Carb Italian Sub Rolls
Fathead-style dough filled with Italian meats and provolone makes for a satisfying meal. Per roll: ~415kcal, 32g fat, 27g protein, 4.5g total carbs – 1.5g fiber = 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 6
- Yield: 6 rolls
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 ounce shredded parmesan
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 4 ounces sliced provolone
- 3 ounces sliced capocollo (or ham)
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced salami
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine mozzarella, parmesan, and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high heat for 60-90 seconds, or until cheese is melted. Stir to combine.
- Stir in xanthan gum, spices, and about 1/3 of the almond flour. Return to microwave for about 30 seconds and stir again.
- Add remaining dough ingredients (yeast, baking powder, egg, and remaining almond flour), and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a clean surface lightly dusted with almond or coconut flour, and knead gently 15-20 times or until smooth. and pliable.
Making the Rolls
- Roll dough into a large rectangle (approximately 9"x15" at 1/4" thickness). Layer the capocollo (or ham) evenly on top of the dough, followed by the provolone, salami, and pepperoni.
- Starting from one "short" end, carefully roll dough into a log. Use a pastry cutter or sharp knife to cut the log into six equally sized rolls.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Served drizzled with the dressing, if desired.