Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
I know it’s kind of blasphemy to say this at this time of year, but I have never been a big fan of pumpkin-flavored or pumpkin spiced foods. I can probably count my average yearly pumpkin spice latte consumption on one hand, and the number of times I’ve had pumpkin pie on the other. With that said…this week I was craving pumpkin spice.
I picked up some pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice with the goal of maybe making some sugar free mini pumpkin pies or something, but I came up with these low carb pumpkin spice cupcakes instead. They are a bit easier to eat on the go, and if you skip the frosting, you don’t have to feel bad about having one with your morning coffee!
- 4 large eggs, plus 1 white
- 1/2 cup (~113g) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (~250g) unsweetened pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup keto-friendly granulated sweetener (such as Swerve or Lakanto)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a cupcake pan by lining with paper or silicone cups, or greasing thoroughly with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and egg white. Add pumpkin, butter, and vanilla extract, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, spices, baking powder, sweetener, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin/egg mixture. Stir until no lumps remain and ingredients are well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, dividing evenly into 12 cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- If serving with frosting, allow cupcakes to fully cool before topping. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or refrigerate for up to a week.
- Need a quick cream cheese frosting? Beat 4oz of softened cream cheese with 1oz of softened butter, 1/2t of vanilla extract, 1 scoop of vanilla or cinnamon bun WakeShake, and sweeten to taste. Pick up the WakeSake for 10% off when you use the code TKW10 here.
- This batter can be a bit “stickier” than others, so I really recommend using nonstick baking cups if you have them.
- If you’re skipping the frosting, these are also pretty tasty served warm with a little butter!