Keto Spinach Dip Stuffed Bread
Stuffed and/or pull-apart breads used to be one of my go-to party foods pre-keto, and I’ve since been on the search for a keto-friendly alternative ever since. This spinach dipped stuffed keto bread was one of my first attempts, and it turned out pretty darn good! The bread is a version of a “fathead” style recipe, and for the filling I used my keto spinach dip recipe from earlier this month. You can of course use any low carb spinach dip of your choice.
The trickiest part of making this is shaping the dough. I used a springform pan for this for convenience. The separate base makes it much easier to shape the dough, and you can pop the ring back on after shaping for baking and storage. You can also use any other round dish or even just a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 5 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon oat fiber
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm (~110F) water, for dissolving yeast
- 2 large eggs (one for dough, one for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon coconut (or almond) flour, for kneading dough
- 1 1/2 cups keto spinach dip
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar or mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare 9" round baking pan by thoroughly greasing, or a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper (see above).
- Add yeast to warm water and allow to dissolve, stirring to break up any clumps.
- Sift together dry ingredients (almond flour, oat fiber, xantham gum, baking powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine shredded cheeses, cream cheese, and butter. Microwave for 60-90 seconds, or until cheese is melted. Stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, one egg, and yeast mixture to melted cheese mixture and mix well until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto a flat surface sprinkled with the coconut flour and knead gently, 15-20 times or until no longer "sticky" to the touch.
- Optional: For best results, cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide dough into two approximately equal sections, and roll each into a ~9" circle.
- Spread the spinach dip on one circle of dough, stopping just before the edges. Top with shredded cheese and parmesan. Layer the other circle of dough on top of the filling.
- Make 12 slices (like cutting a pizza) through both layers of dough, being careful to leave them connected in the center. Pick up each "slice" and twist gently so that the "bottom" layer of dough is on top.
- Beat the remaining egg and evenly brush the the exposed dough with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Optionally, brush with melted garlic butter before serving.
- Best served warm. Store refrigerated for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven at a low (~250F) temperature.
- Up the flavor by brushing with garlic butter before serving! Just combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter with 1 clove of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of keto Italian seasoning.
- Macros will vary depending on the spinach dip used. For reference, the “bread” and cheese alone is 115 calories (9g fat, 6g protein, and 1g net carb) per serving.
Looks good, would love other recipes. Which could be used for breakfast