Keto Zucchini Boats with Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
I feel like a lot of keto zucchini boat recipes use a combination of ground beef (or Italian sausage) and tomato sauces, but for this one I wanted to try something a little different. It’s partially because I like to mix up the meats I use, and partially because I already have a go to low carb dinner recipe using zucchini and Italian sausage. So instead of those ingredients, these keto zucchini boats are filled with shrimp and a creamy garlic parmesan sauce.
As with a lot of zucchini recipes, a little bit of prep work is helpful to prevent these keto zucchini boats from getting mushy when you bake them. I find that salting them first helps to draw out the excess moisture. Then brush with olive oil, prebake in the oven before filling, and you should avoid any problems with sogginess.
The filling for these keto zucchini boats balances the lean protein of shrimp with a rich and creamy garlic parmesan sauce. I find that a two “boat” serving is generally enough to be a satisfying lunch or light dinner, but you can also add sides or pair a single boat with something like a steak for a heartier meal.
Because of the zucchini prep work, these store and reheat pretty well. Keep leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container. If you have the time, they are best reheated in the oven or air fryer at 375F for a few minutes. Otherwise, the microwave will also work in a pinch!
Looking for more keto zucchini recipes? Try these Keto Loaded Zucchini Skins!
Keto Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Zucchini Boats
Keto Zucchini Boats
- 4 whole zucchini
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- salt to taste
Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
- 12 ounces large shrimp peeled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 ounce parmesan grated
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a glass baking dish by lightly greasing.
Prep Keto Zucchini Boats
- Halve zucchini horizontally, removing ends if desired.
- Carefully scoop the middle out of each zucchini half and set aside for later (see note).
- Sprinkle the zucchini boats with salt and allow to rest for about 5 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- In the meantime, combine olive oil, oregano, thyme, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Discard extra moisture from zucchini boats. Brush generously with the olive oil mixture and arrange in prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
- Cut shrimp into bite-sized pieces. Separately, chop the reserved zucchini from earlier into small pieces as well.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add shrimp to pan, and cook until just pink (about 3 minutes). Stir in diced tomato and zucchini, and cook for an additional minute.
- Add heavy cream and cream cheese to the shrimp mixture. Simmer, stirring regularly, for 1-2 minutes, or until cream cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Finally, stir in parmesan, basil, and red pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat.
Fill the Keto Zucchini Boats
- After pre-baking the zucchini boats, fill evenly with the garlic parmesan shrimp mixture and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Return filled zucchini to oven, and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Top with additional fresh basil and/or parmesan if desired, and serve.
- You can save some time by scoring the zucchini (like you would to dice an avocado) before scooping.
- Optionally, replace the final 2-3 minutes of baking with a quick broil to lightly brown the cheese.
- You can use canned diced tomato instead of fresh for this recipe. Just be sure to pick an option without added sugar!