Keto Pesto Salmon with Roasted Veggies
It’s no secret that salmon is a great keto-friendly protein, thanks to its healthy fat content and other important nutrients. Wild salmon in particular is also a good source of potassium, an electrolyte that plays a key role in hydration, muscle function, and metabolism. In addition to the potential health benefits, salmon is also tasty and surprisingly versatile! You can season it simply with lemon, pair it with a light and tangy sauce, or really lean into the richness with this keto pesto salmon recipe.
Pesto might not seem like the most obvious salmon topping, but it works surprisingly well here! It prevents the fish from drying out in the oven, keeping it flaky and moist. It adds a lot of flavor without having to make your own sauce or seasoning blend. And as a fan of pesto itself, I’m always happy to use it for something other than pizza or pasta. Recipes like this keto pesto salmon give me an excuse to buy the big jars of pesto (thanks Sam’s Club!) without them going to waste. I top the salmon with a bit of mozzarella for extra flavor and richness.
Because I love a good one pan meal, this keto pesto salmon is baked alongside roasted veggies to complete the dish. Simply seasoned squash and tomato keep the dish from being too heavy overall. I like using a mix of zucchini and yellow squash for color, but you can choose your favorite variety. Either way, just toss with a simple oil and lemon mixture and add to the pan with your salmon!
Since everything cooks together, this keto pesto salmon should take less than 30 minutes start to finish. It’s a good option for either lunch or dinner, and even reheats well for leftovers since the salmon stays moist. You can also adjust the servings easily: just grab a bigger pan, and scale up the ingredients!
Looking for other keto recipes with zucchini and seafood? Try these Keto Zucchini Boats with Garlic Parmesan Shrimp!
Keto Pesto Salmon with Roasted Zucchini
- Parchment paper
Keto Pesto Salmon
- 2 portions salmon fillet about 5 oz.
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1.5 ounces shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- 1 small zucchini about 5 oz.
- 1 small yellow squash about 5 oz.
- 2 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Prep the Salmon
- Place salmon fillets (skin side down, if using) in the center of prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine basil pesto and mayo, and spread the mixture evenly on top of the salmon.
- Top each salmon fillet with mozzarella.
Prep the Veggies
- Cut the zucchini and squash into bite-sized wedges and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add halved tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Italian seasoning, and parsley to veggies and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread veggies around the salmon on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake salmon and veggies in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until salmon is cooked and veggies are tender. Optionally, broil for an additional 1-2 minutes to lightly brown the cheese and veggies.
Serve and Enjoy!
- Make sure to check the carb counts of store bought pesto, and opt for low carb options!
- This keto pesto salmon reheats quite well, since the pesto topping helps prevent it from drying out.
- If desired, you can also add a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan to the veggie mixture for extra flavor.