Keto Shredded Chicken Taco Meat
I am a big fan of keto Taco Tuesdays because they are the perfect mix of routine and variety. It’s nice to have at least one day where the question of “what’s for dinner” is mostly answered, but I still have the freedom to mix it up with different proteins, bases, and toppings. This keto shredded chicken taco meat has become one of the meat options in my rotation alongside recipes like keto barbacoa and good old fashioned ground beef.
While you could just throw some keto taco seasoning into a batch of chicken and call it a day, this keto shredded chicken recipe makes things a little more interesting. The seasoned chicken is combined with a saucy mix of onion, garlic, and diced tomato for extra flavor. I also add in some jalapeno for extra spice. You can leave it out to keep things mild, or use a chipotle pepper instead for a smokier heat.
Either way, this keto shredded chicken is easy to make and ready in about half an hour. I use cage free chicken thighs in this recipe normally, but chicken breast works too. Just be sure to lower the cooking time since they cook quicker and dry out more easily. You can also make this in an Instant Pot for a slightly more hands off approach!
You have plenty of options when it comes to serving up this keto Mexican-style shredded chicken too. You can:
- Make keto chicken tacos with low carb tortillas
- Use keto pita chips to make low carb nachos
- Pair with cilantro lime cauliflower rice in a burrito bowl
- Top with avocado salsa or melted keto pimento cheese
As just a few quick examples. You can also use it for enchiladas, taco salads, quesadillas, and more. It makes for a good keto meal prep option since you can use it for multiple meals.
Keto Shredded Chicken Taco Meat
- Cutting board
Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs 1.25-1.5lbs
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 10 oz
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of one lime about 2 tbsp
Chicken Spice Rub
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika smoked recommended
- 1 tsp salt
Season the Chicken
- Combine all chicken spice rub ingredients.
- Pat chicken dry and season each thigh on both sides. Reserve any remaining spice rub for later.
Saute and Sear
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add diced onion and jalapeno to skillet and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add seasoned chicken to pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip chicken thighs and sear for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside briefly.
Keto Shredded Chicken
- Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth (or water). Add diced tomatoes, cayenne pepper, and any remaining spice rub. Stir to combine.
- Return chicken to skillet and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for 18-22 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and fork tender.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken, then toss to coat with the sauce. Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt and/or pepper to taste.
- If desired, simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes over medium heat to reduce the sauce.
Serve and Enjoy!
- This recipe can also be made with chicken breast! Reduce the simmer time to about 12 minutes to avoid overcooking.
- This keto shredded chicken taco meat can also be made in the Instant Pot. Follow the initial steps as directed using the Saute setting, then replace the simmer step with a High Pressure cook for 10 minutes (6 for chicken breasts). Quick release the pressure and then follow the remaining steps.
- This recipe has a bit of heat to it, but nothing too crazy. Up the spice level by using additional jalapeno and/or cayenne.