Keto Garlic Parmesan Shrimp and Bacon
Ever been in the process of prepping a keto dinner only to realize that you’re missing a key ingredient? I had been planning on making keto zucchini boats stuffed with garlic parmesan shrimp only to find my zucchini sad and overripe in the crisper drawer. No worries, though! I did happen to have some spare bacon on hand (which is basically a vegetable, right? ?) and so this keto parmesan shrimp with bacon was born. It’s rich, creamy, and perfect for serving with your favorite low carb pasta or rice substitute.
Crisping up the bacon is the first step here, since you’ll cook the shrimp in the rendered fat. The bacon fat, combined with some garlic and seasoning, makes the shrimp extra flavorful. After that, it’s just a matter of making a simple parmesan cream sauce. The ingredients are pretty similar to the shrimp zucchini boat filling, including a base of butter, cream, and cheese. The diced tomato is swapped out for a bit of chicken broth, for more sauce and a lower carb count. This makes it easy to pair with the veggies or pasta substitute of your choice.
I personally tend to go with a fettucine or spaghetti shape shirataki pasta for a nice alfredo-style dish. Zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash are also great options. They have higher water content though, so I recommend cooking them separately first before combining with the keto garlic parmesan shrimp and sauce. There are plenty of other options too. Cauliflower rice is a solid choice, as is pretty much any veggie side.
Looking for other creamy keto seafood recipes? You might also like:
- Keto Pesto Salmon with Roasted Veggies
- Keto Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Zucchini Boats
- Keto Blackened Salmon with Spinach Cream Sauce
- Keto Mozzarella Broiled Shrimp
Keto Garlic Parmesan Shrimp with Bacon
- 6 ounces bacon diced
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning divided
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 ounces fresh grated parmesan
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside, but reserve the fat.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and half (1 tsp) of the Italian seasoning to the shrimp, and toss to combine.
- Return skillet to medium heat, and add butter to the reserved bacon fat. Once the butter is melted and the pan is hot, add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Cook shrimp until pink and opaque, about 2-3 minutes per side. Squeeze with lemon, remove from pan, and set aside.
- Add broth to skillet and warm through, 30-45 seconds. Stir in cream, red pepper, and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Bring cream mixture to a simmer. Stir in parmesan and mozzarella. Reduce heat to medium low and keep at a low simmer until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened, 4-5 minutes.
- Return shrimp to sauce and simmer until heated through again, 1-2 minutes. Stir in bacon and parsley. Season to taste.
- Serve over veggie noodles, cauliflower rice, or your favorite low carb pasta replacement.
- For fresh or frozen zucchini noodles, I would recommend cooking separately and serving the shrimp and sauce on top. Sturdier options like shiritaki or konjac pasta can be added directly to the pan to heat thrrough and coat with sauce.
- Alternatively, make this a full meal by wilting a few cups of fresh spinach in the sauce before returning the shrimp to the skillet.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in a pan over medium low heat.